Xeriscaping is landscaping and gardening that reduces or eliminates the need for supplemental water from irrigation. It is promoted in regions that do not have easily accessible, plentiful, or reliable supplies of fresh water, and is gaining acceptance in other areas as access to water becomes more limited.
- Saves Water – In North America, over 50% of residential water used is used for landscape and lawns. Xeriscape can reduce landscape water use by 50% or more.
- Less Maintenance – Aside from occasional pruning and weeding, maintenance is minimal. Watering requirements are low, and can be met with simple irrigation systems.
- No Fertilizers or Pesticides – Using plants native to your area will eliminate the need for chemical supplements. Sufficient nutrients are provided by healthy organic soil.
- Increase Property Value – A good Xeriscape landscape can raise property values which will offset the cost of installation. Protect your landscaping investment by drought-proofing it.
- Pollution Free – Fossil fuel consumption from gas mowers is minimized or eliminated with minimal turf areas. Small turf areas can be maintained with a reel mower.